To make your experience fun and enjoyable as possible, listed below are a few tips and ideas you may want to consider. Thank you for choosing Hopwood Cellars Winery.
- Please schedule ahead – If you plan to visit our tasting room with a group of 12 or more individuals, you should call ahead. Please give us as much notice as possible.
- Please keep your voice to a speaking volume - No screaming or shrieking is necessary. In general, remember, the tasting room is an educational arena, not a bar.
- Please wait to be served - If the tasting room is busy, please be patient. An experienced server will wait on you at the earliest opportunity.
- Please do not smoke or wear heavy perfume/cologne – Strong odors present within a tasting room will limit an individual’s and others the ability to fully comprehend wine during sampling.
- Please place your cell phone on vibrate - If you are unable to avoid a phone call please excuse yourself from the tasting room.
- Children are welcome, however we ask that they sit in our sitting area and not next to the bar. Please keep an eye on them. No screaming or loud children please.
- Please be attentive to the wines and your server.
- If conversation is more important than the wines, then just order a glass and engage.
- Tips are accepted, however, are not expected. Staff is well paid.
What to Expect in the Tasting Room
- As you enter the tasting room head for the tasting bar. A host will greet you and get you started with a wine glass.
- White wines are generally tasted first, followed by red wines, and then dessert wines.
- Taste each wine carefully and savor each sip.
- Most wineries will have a detailed wine list to follow. Read the tasting notes as you taste and see if you notice any of the aromas or flavors listed in the notes.
- It is okay to skip any of the wines on the tasting list. Some individuals prefer to taste only the reds. Some may be interested in tasting only certain varietals of wine.
- Normally you would not ask for a second taste of one particular wine unless you indicate that you are interested in purchasing the wine.
- You do not have to drink all the wine in your glass. Toss the unwanted wine in your glass into the dump bucket provided for this purpose.
- A neutral food will be provided such as plain crackers. The purpose of the food is to clear the palate after tasting each particular wine.